March 21, 2018

My New Backpack

Hey, everybody!

As part of revamping my style (see my last post), I decided that it was time for a new backpack. I decided to get a new backpack because the cross-body messenger bag I was using was killing my shoulders, and the cute bag just wasn't worth the pain. I thought that being a college student meant I would have less to carry around, but I was sorely mistaken. Literally. It was finally time that I ditch the cross-body and go for a body-friendly backpack!

Although I needed a new backpack, I didn't wanna go for just any backpack where the inner lining would rip under the weight of my books, or the magnetic snapper buttons would fall off (I usually have that problem with backpacks). I wanted a sturdy, timeless backpack with a shit ton of storage that would never fall apart on me.

While searching for backpacks I realized just how gorgeous, job-specific, and expensive they can actually get. I couldn't help but marvel at the various shapes, sizes, colorways, and storage possibilities that these modern backpacks offer! That day, I learned that backpacks aren't just receptacles to carry your junk from one place to another; they are actually the most useful and functional accessories and statement pieces that you could center your whole look around. Forget jewelry, shoes or sunglasses; bags are my accessory of choice! I'm a sucker for items that can hold other items. Plus, I love the security and comfort of having everything I could need throughout the day at the drop of a strap and the flip of a flap.


After extensive research, I finally found my backpack. I decided to go for the SwissGear 5753 Laptop Backpack in the colorway Dark Grey Heather/Black. I wasn't crazy about the backpack at first, but after reading about how much storage this sucker has, I was sold. The crazy part is, I didn't even realize how much storage it had until after I bought it. After a month of use, I think I've finally found all the secret pockets that this baby has to offer. For a while, it was like the gift that kept on giving!

The Outside


This backpack has a very unique look in my opinion. It's quite rectangular, giving it a clearly defined 'top' compared to the standard dome-shaped backpack where the sides and the top are one. Another unusual feature that the backpack has is its vertical zipper going straight up the middle. I've never seen a vertical zipper incorporated into the design of a backpack, but I'm a big fan! The final unusual feature that I dig about the appearance of this bag is the front flap cut-out, which you will see later on. The front flap covers the entire top of the backpack and takes up a decent portion of the front, allowing for a wider opening.

On the sides of the backpack, there are two decent-sized protruding pockets. On one side I keep my snacks, and on the other side, I keep my toiletries. My snack pocket currently stores five snack bars, an orange, and some cookies, and my toiletry pocket stores a hand cream, a nail file, a lip balm, a travel-sized deodorant, a hairbrush, and some tampons with loads of room to spare!


The backpack also has a 'multi-compartment organizer panel' in the front (the vertical zipper) to prevent your smaller items from getting lost in the actual backpack section of the backpack. In this panel, you could fit your phone, your pens, and even your passport if you decide to take the backpack traveling. I like to keep my headphones in the mesh sling to prevent tangling.


Right in front of the handle up top, there is a secret pocket (one of the three that I didn't know about for weeks) that is as wide and as deep as the opening flap. This pocket is so big that I feel like I need to put something in it because it'd be a waste not to. In this pocket, you could fit several CDs, more snacks, or your wires if you were actually using it as a laptop bag. The possibilities are overwhelmingly endless.


Even the straps have storage! There is a zipper pocket for your cards on one strap and a mesh sling to hold your phone on the other.


Hidden right behind the left side pocket is another pocket I didn't know about for weeks! This pocket is just big enough for your cards or a small notebook.


Also hidden on the back of the bag, there is a 'built-in add-a-bag panel' for you to easily slip the backpack over the handle of a suitcase. I guess it's useful if you don't wanna wear the backpack on your back for some reason!

The padded straps and back panel make this backpack extremely comfortable to wear. No shoulder, neck, or back pain whatsoever!

The Inside

I had to steal this image from the SwissGear website because it's just better. This picture also better displays the wide front flap cut-out I was telling you about! On the inside of the backpack, there are two cushioned sleeves designed to hold a 15" laptop and a tablet. The 'belly' of the bag, as it's called on the SwissGear website, offers a decent amount of storage for your books and notebooks. If I had to guess, I'd say you could fit three textbooks of shmedium thickness in there. Also inside the belly of the bag, on the opposite side from the laptop sleeves, there is a big mesh pocket designated for adaptors if you plan to use this backpack for its actual use. I, however, use it as my Cheetos pocket. The inner lining of the backpack features a grey-and-white diagonally striped pattern, which I think is just lovely. The lining seems strong and durable, so hopefully there will be no tearing!

The backpack cost $55 on the SwissGear website, along with $5 for shipping. Although this is two times more than the usual $30 I'd spend on a bag, I feel that a quality item like this is worth the investment. I am confident that I will use this bag for years to come.

That's it for today's post! I hope this review has opened your eyes to the vast and wonderful world of backpacks. If your shoes, jewelry, and other accessories are supposed to make you happy, your backpack should too!

Until next time,
Jordan x

No comments:

Post a Comment