September 10, 2017

What Is College REALLY Like?

Hello, my friends, and welcome to my 100th post!

I just finished my first week of college, and I'm here to tell you all about it.

Monday
Since this past Monday was Labor Day, I didn't have school. I used this free day to organize my schoolbag, clean my room, and take a shower! I wanted to make sure I started the year off fresh and at ease, with a clean and calm environment to come home to.

Tuesday
Tuesday was my first official day of college.

Once I found parking, I was left with 4 minutes to get to a class that I had no idea where to find. On my hopeless trek through the building, I ran into a staff member and asked him if he knew where my room was. He turned out to be the professor of the class I was looking for! By the time I sat down, my chest burned due to how out of breath I was. I was pleasantly surprised by the humor of my first professor.

After the first class, I had an hour to get lunch and work on blog posts. I got a bagel and a coffee from the cafeteria and sat down at a table, waiting for the time to pass.

My second professor of the day is super nice and outgoing. I was assigned two stories to read and a quiz to take, due on Thursday. I finished off the school day with another English class, taught by a very stern and intimidating woman. My professor spent the whole 75 minutes talking about how much harder this class was compared to its prerequisites, which I had been exempt from. Needless to say I was, and am, quite worried!

Wednesday
Wednesday was the first day of my Monday/Wednesday classes. On these days, I have a math class and a communications class. My math class started at 1:00pm, but I came in a little early to work on some homework. Math was really overwhelming. My professor has a thick Russian accent, so the lessons are a little difficult sometimes. I also stupidly forgot to bring paper, so I had to figure out how to create all of those fancy math symbols in an online document. I definitely learned my lesson.

My communications class seems promising, and my teacher gave us M&Ms so it's off to a good start!

Thursday
Thursday was my second day in my Tuesday/Thursday classes, and my last day of school for the week. Because I had been to these classes before, I was a little less anxious trying to figure out how to get there. Once I got to my classes, I'd sit down in the seat I assigned myself and pull out the assignments I'd been working on since Tuesday.

Although I'd only been out of high school for a few months, it felt like I hadn't been to school in years. The campus is huge, the homework is overwhelming, and the material is foreign to me. I still don't know how to get to most of my classes without circling the building a few times, but I'm getting the hang of it! As for everything else, I'm sure I'll manage.

Friday
Time to RELAX!

That, my friends, was my first week of college! Sorry for the long post; I guess this was more of a diary entry than anything else. For those of you who aren't in college yet, I hope this gave you a tiny insight on what's in store for you! For those of you who are currently in college or have graduated, I hope this was somewhat relatable!

My conclusion to what college is really like is quite similar to my hypothesis; college is fun if you put yourself out there (joining clubs, talking to your classmates), and it's not so overwhelming if you just keep up with your homework. If you do those two things, college will be fine! I'll see you later in the month for a non-school-related post!

Until then,
Jordan x

No comments:

Post a Comment