May 30, 2014

Baby Birds Under the Deck

Hello, everyone! On May 5th, I found a nest of newly-hatched birds on a beam holding up my deck (It's hard to explain). Every spring, a bird lays its eggs in one of the vacant nests we have sitting in the rafters. This year, I just happened to catch the beginning of life for four young birds!

I'll be the first to admit, I don't know a thing about birds. I haven't got a clue what kind of birds these are or when exactly they were born, but I decided to take pictures of them anyway to track their everyday growth and how long it takes them to eventually leave the nest. Of course, I was extra careful not to touch anything or disrupt their development process in any way!

I believe the day I found the chicks, they were a couple days old. I don't know what kind of birds they are, therefore I couldn't tell you what they must've looked like when they were born! They lived in the nest for a week and a half and ended up leaving on May 15th, approximately 12 days after they were born. It was kind of bittersweet watching them leave, as I spent so much time thinking about them and watching them grow and eagerly waiting to get home, just so I could see them. Now I understand the term 'Empty Nest Syndrome'!

Anywho, enjoy the pictures of these little birds!

Day 1



Day 2


Day 3


Day 4


Day 5




This was the mother carrying worms to the babies. I thought it was super adorable!

Day 6

I missed Day 6! I'm sure you can imagine what the chicks looked on this day; a little less fluff and a little more feather!

Day 7



Day 8



Day 9


Day 10


This is the first good view I got of their bellies. I always assumed they were robins until I saw their speckles!


Day 11


And then they were gone.

I hope you enjoyed this time lapse of the little birds' lives! Thank you for reading!

I hope you've had a lovely May,
Jordan x

No comments:

Post a Comment