August 10, 2015

Being Sad

Hey, folks. Recently, I've been experiencing a lot more human emotion than I'm used to. I don't know if it's the stress of having a high-intensity job, or maintaining perfect relationships, or just not having enough 'me' time, but lately I've been feeling kind of depressed. Not all of the time, but more often than usual.

Sometimes my sadness comes out of nowhere, and other times it's brought on by things like exhaustion, anxiety, and even anger. (All of those emotions are tied together for me.) Who knows, maybe it's just a 'teenager thing'. Maybe I'm spreading myself too thin, or maybe I rely too much on other people to make myself happy. Anyway, I know this is something that a lot of people struggle with, so I thought I'd make a list of all the things one could do to make themselves happy again. Enjoy!

Before I start, I think it should be noted that it is okay to be sad. Sadness isn't something you should feel like you have to repress in order to look 'strong' or to keep the people around you from feeling uncomfortable. Sadness is a normal, naturally-occurring emotion, and if something happened in your life to make you feel sad, you have all the right in the world to sulk around for a while.

Anyway, let's get started!

Step 1:
Get Angry. Or Cry.
You're never going to get over the issue unless you address the issue. Don't let it bubble up inside of you. If it's human-induced sadness, confront the person that's making you feel like crap and tell them how it makes you feel. Yell about it; preferably not to them. If you completely skipped the feeling of anger and went straight to being sad, let your tear ducts do the talking. Whether you're screaming into your pillow or crying a river, just let it all out.

Step 2:
Clean Something
I always find that a clear space makes for a clear head. Organize your room, clean out your desk drawers, rearrange your closet, your desk, your pantry, or whichever part of your house/workplace you are exposed to the most. Bring a little order back into your life!

Step 3:
Keep Busy
This one is 100% fail proof. Whenever I'm in a bad mood and I go to work, I become so consumed with my job that I completely forget what's going on in the outside world. I'm constantly running around and thinking about other, more productive things. If you don't have a job, go on a mission for something. Find a recipe online, go to the shops, get the ingredients, and make it. Find a crafty DIY on Pinterest and give it a go! And when it doubt, just binge on your favorite TV show. Anything to get your mind off of the current situation.

Step 4:
Take a Shower (or Bath)
This might just be a placebo, but a lot of the times when you're sad, all you need is a little refresher. Showers/baths are both refreshing and relaxing and give you a chance to clean your mind. They also make you look and smell a little better which will hopefully boost your self confidence.

Step 5:
Go Somewhere
Get out of the house! Go see a movie! Take a trip to the drugstore! Eat some ice cream!

Step 6:
Play With An Animal
Most likely when you're sad, you will try to avoid all human contact. That doesn't say anything about animals! I know whenever I snuggle with Moose (my dog), all is right in the world. He is so precious.'

Step 7:
Think About the Good Stuff
Yes, you may be having a bad day, but that doesn't mean there weren't a couple good things sprinkled in here and there. Take a minute to remind yourself of the little things that made you smile or laugh during the day. Maybe someone held open a door for you, or said something nice. Maybe you got tipped for doing a good job, or someone clumsily fell down and it made you laugh. 

Those are all of the tips I have on how to not be sad. I hope this has helped you out! If you have any other tips or suggestions, leave them in the comments section below!

Have a good day, and just be happy.
Jordan x

No comments:

Post a Comment