December 30, 2014

Lessons Everyone Should Learn

Hello, everyone! I know I made it out to seem like my last post was the final post of 2014, but I lied to you.

Recently, I was reminiscing on the past year and how much I've grown as a person. Not only have I shot up 2 inches, but I've also learned a lot of things; unconventional things. I'm not talking about the standard 'drugs are bad', 'sleep is good for you' deal, I'm talking about some serious life lessons! The kind of stuff they don't teach you in school, and the kind of stuff you have to figure out through personal experience.

I'm still quite young, and I know I have many chapters to go in The Guide to Life, but everyone's gotta start somewhere. So without further ado, here are some of the lessons I've learned this year through my little experience.

For Goodness' Sake, Just Do It!
Everyone is different, but I'm sure this applies to you in one way or another. Step out of your freaking comfort zone every once in a while.

Always Be Straightforward
There's no point in wasting anyone's time, and if hurting someone's feelings is what you're worried about, you're never going to get anywhere in life.

Listen to Music with Meaning
No more of that big booty, blurred lines crap. Listen to the type of music you hear in films that makes you want to jump or cry, or confess your love to someone. That's the kind of music that heals and inspires you.

Not Everyone Will Like You
Unless you're Oprah Winfrey or Betty White, there will always be someone with something bad to say about you. Instead of changing who you are in the hopes of becoming a perfectly polished version of yourself, just do you. Frankly, they'd hate the new version more, and you're not going to get the right friends if you act like anything but yourself.

Windows are Great
Instead of staring at a computer screen or being on your phone 24/7, look out your window! At night, during the day, in the car, even when you're driving down a road you can follow with your eyes closed. You'll be amazed at what you see when you really look. It also helps with car sickness.

We Are All Going to Die
Let yourself grasp that concept for a second. When you're done having an existential crisis like I did, think about the kind of impact you want to have on this earth. Any at all? Do you want to leave something wonderful behind for the future generations? If so, think about what you're doing right now. Are your actions in the present day aiding in making the world a better place? If so, you're a wonderful person. If not, you're not living. You're merely existing, and you might want to do something about that.

Don't Take Animals For Granted
You shouldn't take anything for granted, but especially your pets. They're not going to be around forever, and you're going to miss their shnuggly faces when they're gone. Kiss them, hug them, cuddle them, play with them and give them as much love and attention as you can. They'll appreciate it and love you right back!

If It Doesn't Feel Right, It's Not.
To me, this came in the form of a bad friendship. For other people, it may come in the form of a testing situation, or even something as literal as an injury. I'm someone that commits very fullheartedly to relationships - probably more than one should - and I've lost many people in the past for being too 'committed' to the friendship. It happened again this year, only this time, it was a case of me thinking it was a 'best-friendship' and them thinking it was something far less. I should've known all along, as there were many signs. It didn't feel right, but I didn't bother to piece together the evidence and do something about it. In the end, it wasn't a good match. My advice to you is that if you sense something isn't right, whether that'd be in a friendship or in a situation where you don't feel comfortable, don't wait until the last second to do something about it. Get out as fast as you can! It will make your life a whole lot easier.

You Are Awesome
Well I don't really know if you're awesome, but I know I'm awesome. I know that because I decided it, and so can you! It's okay to like yourself a little.

Everyone Needs a Hug
And if you're someone that doesn't like hugs, you're doing it wrong. It's scientifically proven that a hug can improve not only your mood, but also your health. Can you believe that?! Go hug someone!

Change Is Good
It's okay to not be the same person you were a year ago! It's perfectly natural to like new things and hate the things you once loved. It could be a food, a genre of music, a TV show, a color, anything. Humans are constantly changing, and for some reason, people are under the impression that change is a horrible thing. Change is the only way we can survive! It's the only way we can grow and mature and find out who we are. Try something new, expand your horizons! Find out a little bit more about yourself.

Live Minimalistic
Don't overcrowd your life. If you haven't used something in the past year, throw it out. If you haven't talked to someone in 6 months, delete their number. If you don't need it, get rid of it. It's as simple as that, and you wouldn't believe the effects that a clear house, head, and conscience can have on a person! If you take one thing away from this post, make it to live simple.

Find Lessons in Everything
Sure you can listen to me talk all day, but that doesn't mean you'll learn anything! The best and most important lessons are the ones you come up with yourself. That means your brain is taking notes from previous situations and making it an 'enlightening experience'.

Those are all the life lessons I have for this year! Maybe I'll come back in December of 2015 and share some more life lessons with you! Until then, keep these in the back of your mind and use 'em on a rainy day.

Have a wonderful 2015!
Jordan x

No comments:

Post a Comment