August 22, 2014

England Adventures: Punting Tour

Hello, everyone! Welcome back to my weird little page on the Internet. Today is Day 6! In this post, my family and I explore the glorious Cambridge and I get an ancient sliver.


Our first stop was the daily market. I stupidly forgot to take pictures of the rows of street venders selling various knick knacks and fresh fruits, but I did take a picture of one of the street performers!





Since it was our last full day in this wonderful, historical town, I thought it would be a good idea to run around touching everything. We didn't have enough time/weren't allowed to go in every single building structure in town, so why not at least touch them?! Bad idea. Whilst on my wild touching frenzy, I came across this building with a beautiful, elaborately carved arched doorway that must've been over a century old! Without thinking about it, I threw my hands at the door to feel the detailing. Within a second or two, I had been slivered. There was no telling how old that door was, but it was old; and for that short while, I had a piece of history in my finger!


A little while later in the day, we decided it was time to hop on a punt and see the sights!


On our peaceful sail we were joined by a friend!







This is the famous King's College! If you've ever researched Cambridge before, you've probably come across pictures of this magnificent building. It's probably the most well-known of all the 31 Cambridge colleges! It was founded in 1441 by King Henry VI of England.



If I remember correctly, this building serves as lodging for students of the colleges. How would you like to live here?!


Aaaaw, such a cute couple.


I believe this is a house.







This is St. John's college, founded by Lady Margaret Beaufort is 1511. For almost every college in the university, there is a rival college. I can't remember which is the rival college of St. John's, but you can see a statue of a bird sitting on top of the gateway, turning its head sideways in disgust of its competition school across the way. I thought that was a pretty good burn!




I like this picture because it shows so much human interaction! I can't help but wonder what all of those people are talking about.


This was when I realised my dad's concentrated, caught-off-guard face was in half of my pictures, so I told him to look like he was having a good time.


Everyone thought this leafy castle was the setting for one of the scenes in Harry Potter, but it turns out it's just a normal, leafy castle!


Creepy lookin' doorway!






Two friends, having a ball.


This is Wren Library, the very library in which many books from Sir Isaac Newton's own library are kept, along with the first EVER manuscript of A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh!



I believe this is more lodging for university students!


That's it for today's post! After the punt tour, we went out for dinner at Cambridge's oldest functioning pub, The Eagle Club. I forgot to take pictures of it, but it was by far the best fish and chips I had the whole trip! I DEFINITELY recommend it if you're ever in the area.

Unfortunately, I didn't do any solid picture-taking for the rest of the trip. This is the last day of England Adventures! After our last full day in Cambridge, we set off for a hotel closer to the airport. We spent the night there and jetted home early the next morning. I had a great time in England. Our week long holiday definitely reassured me in my decision to move there one day!

Though the day-by-day posts are over and the sightseeing is through, I still have one more post for you. Stick around for the very last installment of England Adventures on what I bought whilst in the country!

See you then!
Jordan x

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures and wonderful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pictures! I just stumbled upon your blog and I really like it. What camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! :) I use the Nikon Coolpix L820. I got it from Walmart for around $180.00!

      Delete
  3. Loved your pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete